Thursday, March 2, 2006

Kids need more free time!

I see that the local school board just came out with their schedule. State law now says that school can't start till after Labor Day and will be out around Memorial Day. Tourism and Vacation planning seems more important than our childrens preparation to lead the world. Makes me shudder to think what it's going to be like as this century unfolds in front of us.

Back in the 80's...remember those old days? I was living in California, Torrance California to be exact. The home of Toyota and other Japanese owned, USA based companies. Our young teenager was in one of the better public schools in the area. He was 1 of only 3 non-oriental rooted students in his class of 20 something. He felt special because when public school got out, he was free to come home, ride his bike, play video games or just look at the funny clouds that the polution grouped in the sky's above our townhouse. See most all the other kids in his class had to continue their studies at a private Japanese learing center. For almost two extra hours each weekday AND for 1/2 a day on Saturday those students were being put through extra learning drills. They were schooled in Japanese, but also in English, History, Math, Science, Media, EVERYTHING that would give them a ONE UP in becoming future leaders of their individual worlds. HMMMM, from Chris' point of view, he was the winner, but to me it looks like he AND our entire country are becoming the loosers.

My German foreign kids were used to being at school in the 7am hour, out of school at 1:30, then home for 3 to 5 hours of study. And they do that for 10 months of the year. Butts in chairs for more hours just has to contribute to a more highly educated workforce. I think we're slipping!

Talk to any employer and their major complaint? Going through worker after worker to find one that has the same work ethic as they the owner/boss has. What has happened to the folks that want to work for works sake? Who take pride in a job well done even if it's not their chosen career? I remember in the 70's I hired a young man to clean my store. His career was to be a piano tuner and he was developing that busines, but he sure did a wonderful job of keeping my store clean! Every day he would use one of those old mops and wash/wipe from one end to the other. Never complained, always had a great attitude and took pride in his "job of the day!" Now I have work that goes undone from year to year even though I'll pay a PREMIUM to have it done. No one shows up saying, "Have you got some work, I'll do anything, I need some money." They're to busy to stop and do physical work, that would interfere with their free time. Sorry I'm ranting about this, but I look around me and see SO MUCH that could be done, and I've got cash in my pocket to get it done. I've got job offers posted at the employment office AND the University. But alas, no one calls so I'll end this and go do some physical work which is good for me anyway but would sure be happier to pay for that so I can continue my core business. Where have all the good men (and women) gone?

No comments: